27 February 2012

Unofficially Yours


I was off duty last Friday so I used the time wisely to compensate for my lack of sleep and reward myself with a movie treat. Finally, after the Manila King Pin: The Asiong Salonga Story movie date with C,  two movies have caught my attention. Right after watching the trailers, I’ve already fallen in love with these post-Valentine’s day movies: “The Vow” and “Unofficially Yours”. At last, I had time to watch the latter! We were supposed to go out as a group, but due to personal reasons (or excuses), only Dianne and Francis were willing to watch with me.


Fast forward to the movie… (Spoiler alert!)


“Bakit pa ko magse-settle sa sabaw, kung pwede naman makuha pati laman…”

The first few scenes were shocking and sexy! Picture this: John Lloyd Cruz, Angel Locsin, Boracay, tequila.  I’ll leave the rest of the details to your imagination. Hihi. But it wasn’t all about “that”, the story had a deeper implication to which many can relate. I, for one, can relate to some of the situations in the movie (it’s not what you think it is, haha). Halfway through it, I was already crying, and it continued until the end.

Some said that the movie is overrated, that it’s just a local interpretation of JT & Mila Kunis’ movie “Friends with Benefits”. Maybe, yes. But I couldn’t argue with the fact that it’s John Lloyd and Angel Locsin in one movie. Hello? Two of the best local actors of this generation, need I say more? And if that’s not enough proof, the story/concept is a first in the local movie scene. I could not remember anything like it. It was beautifully and creatively done. The acts were flawless and natural, and the twists were really unexpected.

Some also compares “Unofficially Yours” to the classic John Lloyd-Bea movie, “One More Chance”. I think it’s unfair to do that because clearly, “One More Chance” is “One More Chance”. It’s the movie that had us all burst into tears and that made us use their lines in our everyday lives. Cue lights and camera: “Mahal na mahal kita kahit ang sakit sakit na”. “Unofficially Yours” has a more mature take on love. It shows the situation of many “couples” nowadays.

If you’re still not convinced, watch the movie. What is a hundred pesos in exchange for seeing John Lloyd Cruz’ abs? Hahaha. But really, JLC never fails to make me all giddy. He’s such a great actor; he makes me fall in love with all his characters. He acts so naturally, even when he makes pacute. Nakakaloka! And omg is Angel hot. I like her drama; I felt every line she said.

Lines that I remember love:
Ces to Mackie: “Grabe! T*ng *n*, Mackie!
Mackie to Ces: “Para iganti ka! Anong para san, Ces?”
Mackie on Ces: “Gusto ko lang maging masaya siya kahit hindi ako ang dahilan kung bakit siya masaya."
Ces to Mackie: “Kahit gaano pa kalaki ang pagmamahal na ibigay mo, hindi ‘yun hadlang para sa isang tao na ‘yun na saktan ka.”
Mackie to Ces: “Sa bawat isang pinipili may isang libo kang tinatangihan……pero higit ka pa sa isang libong bagay na pwedeng tangihan ng isang taong tulad ko.

You won’t get it til you watch it, but if you already had, you’ll know how heartfelt these lines are. So ano ba, you know what to do. More lines are worth quoting, I just don’t remember ‘em all! (correct me if I typed the lines wrong)

After a kazillion tears and kilig moments, the movie ended. I thought it was bitin, but what the heck, I still enjoyed. We headed to Yellow Cab for our dinner. Great night!

14" New York's Finest





“Itanong mo sa akin kung sinong aking mahal...
Ikaw ang aking mahal”

-Ikaw Lang Aking Mahal, Brownman Revival

xx,
keaiism

3 comments:

  1. Watched it... I haven't been watching a lot of movies but I guess this is much better than GMA-produced "date movie" wannabes. The movie is okay. But that scene with ex boyfriend is not so believable, specially that one that triggered the punching. It wasn't necessary. It leaves me the impression that ABS CBN just needed to give Patrick a project. If the idea is to shHow how far Mackie would go for Ces, they could have thought of something else. And that article Mackie wrote about Ces... it seemed lacking in creativity and emotion. Why write about Ces being strong and fierce? Why not about Mackie wanting to keep Ces so much but that he is willing to lose her so that Ces can fulfill her dreams and be happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the article. It wasn't that moving, not the type that would change my mind if I was in Angel's place. But seeing Patrick was a surprise! Maybe the punch was uncalled for, but the scene after that, I loved!

      Delete
  2. To complete -

    ... and be happy elsewhere. Isn't that what's Mackie's "love personality" supposed to be? Selfless and sacrificing?

    And regarding Patrick's scene -

    A "normal" person, when being interviewed, wouldn't normally say something like that. But I guess that's the whole point... He's an a@@hole. I thought for a while he was there to get back Ces. Now, wouldn't that be a predictable conflict.

    Liked the movie. Good song choice :-)

    ReplyDelete